Healthcare and wellness are becoming a central priority. Growth in the health and wellness market is expected to continue at an annual rate of >6% in the coming years. In 2020, the Covid-19 pandemic put the importance of health and hygiene in the spotlight.
CAGR Growth in medical implant in short-term1
Growth of medical plastics in short-term2
Challenges for customers
- Patients are ever more informed about and involved in their healthcare.
- There’s a growing need for more biocompatible materials and high-performance materials that can support aggressive disinfectants/chemicals used to prevent hospital-acquired infections.
- In the nutrition field, demand for food supplements is growing.
Opportunities for Solvay
Solvay is #1 in high-performance polymers technologies, serving a range of markets.
- We offer biomaterials for long-term exposure applications suitable for implantable devices, orthopedics and dental devices.
- Our medical grade thermoplastics offer high-performance in implantable and medical devices in limited exposure applications in fields such as surgical instruments, sterilization cases and single use instruments.
- Our revolutionary, high-heat, high-performance and biocompatible polymers are used for hemodialysis membranes.
Single-use spinal surgery kits that fight infection
Today, stronger disinfectants are used to clean medical equipment to help prevent the spread of Hospital Acquired Infections. Standard materials may crack and break, but Solvay’s range of specialty polymers have the chemical resistance to withstand repeated exposure. Our Ixef® PARA product is increasingly used in single-use kits for spinal surgery. More effective than reusable instruments, it improves efficiency in the operating room and helps eliminate the root causes of infections in the surgical environment.
Sources: 1: Medical Implants Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size and Forecast, Report by 2023, Kenneth Research, August 1, 2019, 2: BCC Research – 2018 report