Air, soil and water pollution, the growing pressure on biodiversity and the continuing bid to reduce CO2 emissions are driving the search for new resource-efficient solutions. Industrial innovation is growing, enabling more efficient use of resources, through modular design and manufacturing methods that incorporate the principles of recycling and the circular economy.
Increase of lithium supply by 2030 and Copper to add ~4Mt per year1
consumers ready to pay more for a product designed to be reused or recycled2
Growth in water treatment over the next 5 years3
Challenges for customers
Doing more with less, through savings on energy (lightweighting), on raw materials, and the circular economy.
Opportunities for Solvay
Solvay offers leading technologies to many of the markets where resource efficiency is a key driver.
- We have developed a unique methodology that allows enhanced recovery of value minerals and increased recovery and a broad range of solvent extractants for the purification and concentration of metals.
- We offer high-performance polymers & thermoplastic composites for use in flexible oil & gas risers. They are lighter, more resistant to corrosion and require less maintenance.
- Our soda ash is used to develop eco-efficient glass for triple-glazed windows.
- Our formulations for eco-friendly production processes are used in water and soil management.
- Our polymers are used to manufacture food packaging that can safely be reused and recycled.
- They are also used in filter bags and membranes to treat the gases emitted by multiple industries.
High quality copper extractants to fuel EV battery growth
With a growing demand for electric vehicle (EV) batteries and, hence, battery metals, the need for copper is increasing. Copper is a major component in EVs, used in electric motors, batteries, inverters, wiring and in charging stations. Acorga® copper extractants have a proven track record in the mining industry and are used by the largest copper producing mines in the world.
Backed by Solvay’s technical know-how and applications expertise, these products are known to improve copper transfer and selectivity, and operational reliability.
Sources: 1: World Material Forum, Global Battery Alliance, 2: Accenture 2019, 3: Solvay internal research