of sales from solutions improving society’s quality of life
Products that improve health, safety and air quality
We provide advanced polymers for medical devices and pharmaceutical packaging, as well as active ingredients for drugs (including products for Covid tests and vaccines). Our ultra-filtration membranes for hemodialysis have already treated more than 3 million people worldwide. We also purify the air we breathe: our Solvair® products help clean exhaust fumes in many industries and utilities, eliminating up to 99% of sulfur oxide, fluoride and hydrogen chloride emissions.
Donations to help communities weather the Covid crisis
Our businesses around the globe provided critical supplies to those in need to help fight the spread of Covid-19, including
- 1,000,000 bottles of disinfectant gel
- 700,000 liters of hydrogen peroxide
- 350,000 masks
- 114,000 pieces of Personal Protective Equipment
- Materials to produce over 6,700 reusable face shields
Partnering with Boeing to provide Covid-19 face shields
Solvay is supplying high-performance, medical-grade transparent film to Boeing for its production of thousands of face shields critically needed by hospitals and medical workers in the U.S. to protect them from the Covid-19 virus. The film is manufactured with Solvay’s medical-grade Radel® PPSU or Udel® PSU, two transparent specialty polymers widely used for medical devices because of their ability to be sterilized and withstand aggressive disinfectants.
Caring for employees during the crisis
The Covid crisis required us to quickly implement new work models (more than 10,000 employees worked from home) and several cost mitigation measures such as furlough, temporary salary cuts and some job cuts. To help our employees face the impacts of the crisis, we put important measures in place:
- A safety net for all our employees worldwide, which provided up to one month of salary to any employee on medical leave due to Covid-19, and ensured full employee health benefits were maintained. Employees who were furloughed received 70% of gross monthly pay for up to 3 months.
- The Solvay Solidarity Fund launched in April 2020, which provides financial support and days off to any Solvay employee and dependents who experienced hardship due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Anonymous One Pulse surveys that were sent every six weeks to take the pulse of our organization and equip Solvay leaders with insights to better help employees navigate the Covid-19 crisis.
- A special bonus rewarding all non-executive employees for delivering steadfast performance during the crisis. Thanks to record cash generation for the year, €14.5 million was reserved for this special bonus, which was paid to employees at the end of the year.
Global Citizen Day 2020
Solvay’s Citizen Day initiative is a way to give back to our communities. Since it was not possible to meet in person in 2020, Solvay employees participated in a virtual Citizen Day. Under the theme of education, we created over 250 educational videos for students to foster interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). From filming chemistry experiments to hosting virtual site visits, the Solvay team helped to inspire and influence the next generation of leaders.
Maternity leave time extended to
weeks and open to both
co-parents as of January, 1st, 2021